I recently read "Through Painted Deserts" by Donald Miller. A great book for reflection and prayer. A lot of people are interested in the how questions of life. How do I make money? How do I get a girl/guy to fall in love with me? How do I succeed at whatever project it is that I am doing? Miller becomes jaded with the how questions and begins asking a different question: why? Why do we exist? Why do we feel emotions? Why did God create all this beauty? To me, the how questions are questions of destination. The why questions are the questions of the traveler, the one on a journey.
Don't be too quick to move on to the next stage of life. If you are in college, for God's sake enjoy it. If you are planning a career move, take the time to embrace the uncertainty. If you are simply out for a drive, or better yet, a walk, look around you. Notice things you have never noticed before. Talk with God, talk to yourself. Don't talk at all. Do whatever it takes to recognize God's angels all around you...whether it be the mountains in the distance, or the weathered man sitting on a park bench. Don't move through life with your eyes closed. Rather, allow God to open your eyes anew each day. Take the journey. Your destination will be waiting for you, wherever you go. Ask why before you ask how. Breathe.
Just
Slow
Down
And allow God to refresh your soul.
29 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment