Today I realized just how enabling technology truly is. It started with Archimedes and his stupid screw, went crazy with the television, microwave and calculator... all leading up to where we are today. Does it make our lives easier? Yes. But let's just be honest, the easy way is not always the best way.
When I first moved into my dorm I was given a key and a list of things it can open. The list included: my room, the laundry room, the trash room and my assigned mail box.
"Wait.." I thought.
A mail box? People still use those? Personally, I get all of my bank statements via e-mail, bills are all paid online.. hell, I can even give donations to my church online instead of taking the lone hour out of my life to attend. And if I am feeling extremely lazy on that particular Sunday, all I have to do is flip on the TV.
But.. back to the mail box-
I received an e-mail the other morning informing me of a package that had arrived for me. So I take the elevator down the two flights I could have easily walked, and went went straight for the mail counter to collect my package.
"Hey, I got an email saying that a package is waiting for me." I said.
"Do you have your pick up slip?" He asked
"Slip? No, I just got the email."
"You can find the slip in your mail box. Initial it. I also need to see your Oakland University ID." He announced it as if the phrase was just on auto pilot.
So I take the elevator back up to the 3rd floor, grab my key and ID card. I found my mail box (note: it was filled with flyers, a list of welcoming events, etc.) and there lie the single pass that allowed me to receive my package which was being held hostage by Mr. Crazy Pants and his melancholy ego.
The package was from Tyler. He made me cookies and wrote a cute cute letter. First of all, the cookies were incredibly delicious. Second, the short letter which was scribed from a yellow legal pad (totally Tyler's style!!) completely made my day! Nothing could bring me down at that point. Hours later I got a belittling text message from my brother. Normally, I would be upset.. but this particular day was all smiles.
Earlier this afternoon I began writing a letter back to Tyler. By the time I had finished, it was three full pages. Since our lives are so busy, we never really have time to sit down and have a phone conversation or even instant message back and forth. But I feel like these past-time necessities may be my next big thing.
Sarah Goresch
Oakland University
304 East Vandenberg
48309
Leave me your address... who knows, you just might get a little something in the mail.
29 January 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment