Target closed at 6:00pm today, and I was out of the store by 7:00. It was dark and snowy, and but despite the crazy wind/snow storm last night, the roads weren't bad. As I drove slowly down the winding roads which lead to my house from the mall, I did what I do everytime I drive this familar rout: check out the lights. The third house on Porter off Ellis is always decked out, and, a quarter mile down from that is the house that used to make the papers every year for their display.. they've since retired, but I can't help but look anyway. Past Pick-n-pack is pretty standard, but turning onto Hendrick it's a different world. Almost every house is glowing with decoration. But today, the festive lights didn't stike me like they used to in past years. Today, the glow brought a feeling of saddness and and drift. This is the last Christmas I will ever have on this side of the state.
When people hear that I am moving to the other side of the state, more times than not they ask "But aren't you going to miss it here?" Let's just be honest... this little town of Norton Shores if filled with gossip, baggage and heartache. The only source of entertainment is bowling followed by Pablo's. My response is always the same... "No way......."
Truth be told, I am going to miss this place.
I'm going to miss driving by Lake Harbor park and checking to parking lot in hopes to peep a drug deal.
I'm going to miss hearing the concerts at Maranatha in the summer.
I'm goign to miss hearing the waves crash on the shore from my bedroom.
I'm going to miss Thursday's with Tracy Lorenz in the paper.
I'm going to miss walking the pier during Summer Celebration.
I'm going to miss playing guitar in the streets of downtown Grand Haven.
I'm going to miss the fountian and light show.
..but most of all, I am going to miss my home.
I need a fresh start, and most everyone knows that. Oakland University is offering that to me, along with Camp Adventure.
As much as I am going to miss hearing about the drama from Caddy's, and singing my lungs out at Summer Celebration, I am looking forward to Rochester Hills and Lake Orion. It is just a little hars to let this town go.
24 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment