Sometimes things happen that have no reason. At the time, you think "ok, that's weird.. but whatever.." and later on down the road, you realize the exact reason why.
Example:
Once camp Maplehurst went belly- up, I found myself in the "What the hell just happened..?" state. I was supposed to live 5 hours away ALL summer. I was supposed to figure out everything, and my life was supposed to fall into play within a fixed three months. Well, that obviously didn't happen. In fact, I felt like I was taking three steps back when all I wanted to do was sprint to my future.
I came home six weeks early, and after crawling out of a state of depression, I began looking for another summer escape from Muskegon County. Somehow, I stumbled across Crossroads For Youth, in Oxford. I send a blind e-mail to a guy named Josh. Keep in mind, I had been spending hours on end trying to get in contact with different camps. Two days later, I got a phone Erik, the camp director. He wanted me to come visit the camp, and told me to email him the dates I was available. Well, I told him I could come on a Thursday. The crazy guy calls me that Tuesday and says "So, what time can I expect you today?" I should have known that this place was trouble, but I let's face it, I was desperate. A half hour later, I jumped into the convertible and was off in the direction of Detroit.
I pulled up to the camp and there was 10-15 people by the entrance doing yard work. Weird. I later found out that these were residents from LPC program.
I drive up to Chamberlin, and first try opening up the wrong door. I see this girl and a child. I tried to talk to the girl to find out where I need to go, but she ignored me. Finally I found the correct entrance and was greeted by a tall guy with red dread locks. Oh shit. I was in for a ride. This guys name was Josh. I had a cup of coffee in my hand and he gave me a casual "Starbucks.. that stuff's disgusting.. Have a seat in the last office down the hall. Erik will be right with you."
RECAP:
Kids in grey tshirts and blue shorts were baking in the sun slaving over the landscape. Some girl with a kid just ignored me, I was greeted by a guy with red dread locks, and the camp director doesn't know the difference between Tuesday and Thursday. When Lock-y told me to go down the hall to the last office, I thought forsure this was going to be the end of my life. Little did I know, it would actually be the beginning.
So I sat down in the poorly lit office and heard Josh yell "Erik, your interview is here.."..two minutes later, this short guy with an odd shaving pattern walked. No chit-chat was necessary because I later found out that if I showed up and have a chain saw in my hand, I was hired. Cute, right?
We toured the torn up cabins, amazing craft hut, and freshly barked Adventure course and I was led back to Chamberlin for some small talk. The chick that initially ignored me was there making paper airplanes. She finally says "So Sarah.. are we going to be roommates?" I didn't want to burn a bridge before realize there was a gap, so I said "yeah. We're probably going to be BFF's."
So what am I trying to get at... well... sometimes things happen so abruply and we're forced to take our lives another direction. But sometimes, that other direction could be the right one after all.
When Erin went home for the weekend, Erik was there to offer a drunk text, OAR concert, or road trip to his parents house.
Erin (the chick that initially ignored) is someone I'm not sure I could live without. I can't even explain what her friendship means to me.
And Josh.. Well, his crazy voice mails and acceptance makes me realize that there are still some good guys out there.
Taking three temporary steps backwards to take 10 steps forward in the future.. it's totally worth it.
21 December 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment